In the morning, enjoy this delicious buckwheat pancake recipe from Sherron Watson.
By Sherron Watson
Starting each morning with a good breakfast, warm smiles, music and a fresh cup of Folgers coffee is a great way to begin our day. I have included a recipe below for one of our favorite breakfast foods, buckwheat pancakes.
- 3 cups buckwheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons real maple syrup
- 3½ cups of milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 eggs, separated
- ½-1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients and whisk together well.
- In a medium bowl, add egg whites and whip until soft peaks form.
- Add the wet ingredients (milk, egg yolks, syrup and melted butter) to dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Fold in egg whites and gently combine.
- On a heated grill, add butter to season surface.
- Using a small ladle, add each pancake. Cook until lightly brown and air bubbles appear on top of the pancake. Flip and continue cooking.
- Remove and serve with your favorite topping: syrup, molasses, jelly or jam.
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container or baggie in the refrigerator for 5 days. May be frozen too.
Sherron Watson is a writer and photographer. Her passion for food started at a young age while working with her family in their restaurant business. A career in photography gave her the experience she needed to start capturing images of her favorite dishes. This led to the creation of her blog: simply-gourmet.com. She is currently a food writer for Capital Style Magazine in Annapolis, MD.