Easily make your own spiced and pickled beets for a perfect meat and cheese board or salad accompaniment.
- 3 pounds medium sized beets (you can use golden, red, or a mix)
- Kosher salt
- 1½ cups apple cider vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 1½ cups sugar
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 2- inch cinnamon stick
- 2 tsp black peppercorns
- ¾ tsp cloves
- ¼ tsp caraway seeds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Peel and slice beets into large matchsticks (about ½ inch wide). Add beets to a large, rimmed baking sheet and pour one cup of water and a generous pinch of salt over the top. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While the beets are cooking, combine all remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer over low heat. Simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- Once beets are cool enough to handle, add them to two large mason jars. Pour pickling liquid over the beets. Let cool until room temperature, then put on lids and refrigerate.
- Refrigerate beets overnight before serving.
- Category: Side