PARTNER POST: The versatile potato is perfect in a multitude of recipes showcasing flavors from around the globe. Get creative with your spuds.
Doused in a butter chicken gravy, minus the chicken, these crispy potato with cheese curds have just taken vegetarian poutine to the next level.
A vegetarian poutine is made easily with a butter chicken gravy, but no chicken. Baked fries + cheese curds + delicious gravy = heaven.
Take a pile of fries loaded with cheese and smothered in gravy .. how could you beat that? Turns out that if you want the best poutine ever you should smother the fries in butter chicken gravy.
I wish I could say I was the genius who thought of this killer combo first. I was inspired by a little pub in Whistler Village. A few weeks ago, my handsome man and I went for some après snowboard burgers and we found butter chicken poutine on the menu. We didn’t order it (crazy, I know!) but it’s been spinning around in my head ever since.
The recipe starts with hand-cut fries that are baked until crispy. While the fries are in the oven, you make an easy butter chicken sauce (minus the chicken) that you use in place of the traditional gravy. Once the fries are crispy you cover them in cheese curds and smother them in the butter chicken gravy. Eat. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat.
Plus, I love cooking with potatoes. I love how easy they are to make, and how versatile they are. When we’re in a hurry I’ll make quick, smashed potatoes as a side, but if we’re entertaining I’ll turn them into duchess potatoes or smoky roast potatoes.
The US Potato Board is calling them the 9th Wonder of the World … I think it’s a great name! Check out their site for some more healthy and nutritious potato recipes:
For another delicious potato recipe, try these Bombay Spiced Potatoes:
- 4 medium russet potatoes, scrubbed and cut into ¼ inch strips (no need to peel them)
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 teaspoons corn starch
- 1 cup cheese curds
- 1 teaspoon grapeseed oil (or another neutral flavoured oil)
- 1 yellow onion, roughly chopped
- 1½ teaspoons chopped ginger
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1½ teaspoons garam masala
- ½ teaspoon ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon coriander, ground or seeds
- ½ teaspoon cumin, ground or seeds
- ¼ teaspoon fenugreek, ground or seeds
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- Seeds from 2 cardamom pods
- 1 - 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon dairy or coconut cream
- 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar, to taste
- Optional: 1 tablespoons plain yogurt
- Sea salt, to taste (I like about 1 teaspoon)
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 - 11x13 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Rinse the fries well under cold running water. Dry them with a clean dish towel. Place them in a large bowl and pour the oil and salt over top and mix them together using your hands. Add the corn starch and toss so that each of the fries are coated.
- Lay the fries on the prepared baking sheet in a single layer. Make sure there is a little room between each fry so they crisp well. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Make the butter chicken gravy while the fries cook.
- Once the fries are crispy, place them on a plate and cover them with cheese curds. Pour the gravy over top and serve right away.
- Add the grapeseed oil to a medium sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring frequently, until they are quite brown, about 10 minutes. Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 more minute.
- Add the garam masala, turmeric, coriander, cumin, fenugreek, chili powder and cardamom seeds to the pan and stir until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the crushed tomatoes and ½ cup of water and scrape the bottom of the pot to remove any brown bits. Bring the pot to a boil then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour the sauce into your blender and blend on high until smooth. Be careful as the steam from the hot liquid can push your blender lid off. Return the sauce to the pan and stir in the remaining ingredients. Taste and salt as needed.
- Keep warm on low heat until the fries are ready. Once the fries are crispy top them with the cheese curds and pour the butter chicken gravy over top. Serve immediately.