Kristina Wiley debuts on Honest Cooking with a twist on one of the most iconic dishes from the Sunshine State.
Text And Photo By Kristina Wiley
My name is Kristina Wiley from My Life as a Mrs, and this is my first offical post for Honest Cooking! I am absolutely thrilled and honored to join this fabulous team of food and wine writers!
I work full time and cooking has become my way of de-compressing after a long day of work. There is just something oddly relaxing about whipping up a delicious meal for myself and my husband at the end of the day. Over the past 3 years, I’ve come up with some great meals that are easy to whip up on a weeknight. I easily get tired of eating the sames things, so I try to regularly spice up our weekly meal plans.
Anyhow, let’s get going on the first recipe I have for you. I thought I’d start things out on a sweet note and give you a little dessert first: Key Lime Parfait.
I am a Florida girl through and through (3rd generation). We LOVE our Key Lime here! This is a little dessert I whipped up on a whim, and they turned out to be a household favorite. I originally made them as individual parfaits, but have found it to be much faster to use a pretty trifle dish and make one gorgeous dessert. This treat is a sure crowd pleaser (no one needs to know what a simple recipe it really is!).
- 2 8oz (227 g) blocks of cream cheese - softened
- 1 cup (240 ml) key lime juice
- 2 14 oz (396 g) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cups (100 g) graham cracker crumbs
- ½ stick (56.7 g) butter- melted
- ⅓ cup (67 g) sugar
- 2 cups (473 ml) heavy whipping cream
- ⅓-2/3 (40-80 g) cup powdered sugar
- Key Lime Filling: In a stand mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat the cream cheese and sweetened condensed milk together until smooth & creamy. Turn speed down to low and add the key lime juice and mix until combined. Place mixture into an airtight container and refrigerate for a few hours (preferably overnight).
- Graham Cracker Crumble: Mix together graham cracker crumbs, butter and granulated sugar until well combined. Press mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes (until lightly golden). Remove from oven and allow to cool. Crumble with a fork and set aside.
- Whipped Cream: Beat whipping cream with a mixer until stiff peaks form, add powdered sugar (use more or less depending on how sweet your prefer it to be). Set aside.
- To Assemble: Neatly spread ⅓ of the Key Lime Filling into a Trifle/Parfait Dish (be sure to spread to the outside edges of the dish). Spoon ½ of the Graham Cracker Crumble evenly on top, followed by ⅓ of the whipped cream. Repeat one more time (reserving 2 TBS of Crumble). Last, add one more layer each of the key lime filling followed by the whipped cream (If you want to get all fancy, you can pipe the last layer of whipped cream). Top with a sprinkle of the reserved Graham Cracker Crumble. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Kristina Wiley is the South Florida blogger behind the blog My Life as a Mrs. She is passionate about food, entertaining, and life. She writes about cooking as a joy that can be used to bring friends and family back together around the dinner table; be it quick and easy weeknight meals or full on multi course dinner parties.