Sweet, roasted fennel is spiced with coriander, cumin, and garlic for a beautiful bite of flavor rounded out with creamy goat cheese. An easy, but elegant side.
By Soni Sinha
I love Fennel. The sweet flavors reminiscent of licorice and anise are very refreshing and my favorite way to use them is by roasting them until they’re slightly golden and the flavors come through. Some other examples of using fennel are over here with curry and here with cabbage. But this recipe I have for you today has it all. The flavors, the richness, the elegance and the ease of the oven doing the work for you.
I like to use Indian spices in my roasted vegetables. Ground Cumin and coriander work perfectly with almost anything. Adding garlic is imperative while roasting veggies. My last minute idea of adding some smooth and delicate goat’s cheese is the icing on the cake here that does wonders to this salad. The complex flavors from the spices and the garlic with the sweetness of the fennel combined with the tangy creamy goat’s cheese is all you need in your life.
- Ground Cumin-1 tsp
- Ground Coriander-1 tsp
- Garlic powder- 2 tsp
- Paprika or mild red chili powder-1/2 tsp
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil-2 tbsp
- Fresh Goat cheese-small log about 5 ounces
- Preheat the oven at 400F degrees.
- Discard the hard outer shell and slice the fennel into strips.
- In a baking sheet add the fennel along with cumin,coriander.paprika,garlic,salt and oil.Mix well
- Spread evenly all over the tray and bake for about 12-15 minutes until slightly golden.
- Crumble goat cheese all over and bake for another 2-3 minutes until slightly melted.