Loaded with sweet peppers, nutty Gruyere cheese, sautéed garlic kale and egg-soaked bread, this sausage and sourdough strata is a weekend brunch winner.
This wholesome, hearty, glorious casserole is everything I could ever want for weekend breakfast.
It’s packed with tangy sourdough bread, nutty Gruyere, salty breakfast sausage, sweet roasted red peppers, a luscious yogurty egg mixture and handfuls of sauteed garlicy greens (but shhhh, don’t tell). What I’m trying to say is… what’s not to love?
And it can also be prepped in advance and just tossed into the oven when you’re ready. That’s a serious win in my book.
The other great thing is this strata is reminiscent of savory monkey bread. I don’t know if such a thing exists, but it does now. I started eating a piece with a fork and quickly realized it was possible to just grab one spongy bread cube at a time, and when pulled off, a delightful string of cheese came with it, along with a piece of sausage and a bit of greens. It’s savory monkey bread, you guys. MONKEY BREAD. And the pieces on top are extra crispy and crunchy, so try not to fight over those pieces when you’re eating this strata straight out of the casserole dish.
Sausage and Sourdough StrataJulie Andrews
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- ½ medium yellow onion peeled and diced
- 1 lb. all-natural breakfast sausage
- 3 cups chopped kale or spinach any green
- 2 roasted red peppers chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 4 oz. Gruyere or gouda cheese diced
- 10 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 loaf sourdough bread cubed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9 baking dish with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil to medium heat. Add onion and saute 3-4 minutes, until just starting to soften. Add breakfast sausage and cook, breaking up into pieces with a wooden spoon, until almost all browned, about 6-7 minutes. Stir in greens, roasted red pepper (optional) and garlic and saute another 2-3 minutes, until greens are wilted.
- In an extra-large mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, Greek yogurt, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes. Add sourdough bread cubes, sausage mixture and diced cheese to the bowl and toss to combine. Transfer to the greased baking dish and spread out evenly.
- Bake 45-60 minutes, until set and knife inserted into the center comes out clean. Slice and serve.
I'm Julie - The Gourmet RD - A recipe developer, food photographer, food writer/blogger, chef and registered dietitian.I make healthy food sexy and craveable! Simple, wholesome, delicious recipes from my kitchen to yours.