Naturally sweetened, low in fat, whole wheat muffins – perfect for breakfast.
By Karla Diaz Cano
What would you say if I told you these muffins are naturally sweetened, low in fat, made with whole wheat flour – yet still moist and tasty? Would you give them a try?
Well, surprise surprise, they’re all that. Believe me – I wanted to do a happy dance around my kitchen when they cooled down and I bit into one. A beautiful, delicious and yes oh-very-healthy muffin. Perfect for today’s and every day’s breakfast with a glass of cold milk or a cup of hot tea. (Between you and I, I don’t think this batch will last very long around here…)
This recipe was adapted from food.com and slightly modified.
- 3½ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup canola oil
- ⅓ cup apple sauce
- 1 cup honey
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups mashed bananas
- ½ cup hot water
- ⅙ cup chopped nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 C.
- Sift flour twice and mix it with the rest of the dry ingredients.
- Mix canola oil, apple sauce and honey. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add mashed bananas and mix to combine.
- Add dry ingredients, alternating with the hot water. Mix very well after each addition. If you wish to add nuts, fold them in.
- Divide into 24 cupcake cups and bake until golden brown (about 15-20 minutes)