Even if you are gluten-free you don’t have to forgo the bun. Try these nutty buns with great flavor for your next sliders.
By Nina Jesih
Hamburgers are one of my weak points. And because I can’t eat flour I decided to experiment and finally have a burger. Here is my recipe for gluten-free buns that you can easily adjust to your own needs. Check your kitchen drawers and see what nuts you have in there and experiment using those for flours. The taste will be equally enjoyable.
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 cup ground flax seeds
- ⅓ cup coconut flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp apple vinegar
- 4 spoons melted butter (you can use ghee)
- ½ cup almond milk (regular one will do, too)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Blend egg yolks and add them almond and coconut flour with some vinegar, milk and butter. Mixed it all together and add flax seeds and salt.
- Whisk egg whites in a different dish and add baking soda. Join it with the other mixture (use a wooden spoon, not a blender).
- Leave the batch in a dish for 5 minutes. Soak your hands and make 4 round buns.
- Put them on a wax paper and bake for 35 minutes on 320°. Baking time depends of how wet your mixture is. Use a toothpick to check if the buns are done. Just don’t open the oven too much, because there is a chance bread will not rise.
- When you take the bread out of the oven, leave them to cool down. Now you have time to cook a burger patty and prepare every spread that you want in your hamburger. You can of course use the buns for something else, just eat it in a few days, so they won’t get old.
Nina is an art historian from Slovenia, who really likes to eat. Especially junk food, so she balances it with all the natural remedies to keep her body fit, despite her profligate eating lifestyle. Also to keep up with her hunger for exciting food, she stays active in sports.