Crammed with chicken and haloumi, and offset by a little green and hint of lemon, these fritters will not last long. Best make them ahead of time, and hide in the freezer for those moments when you’ve ‘nothing to eat’. Exceptional picnic fare.
By Pepper Passport
Warning. These are ridiculously good and they will not last long. Which isn’t all that surprising seeing they feature two crowd favourites – chicken and haloumi. Which, when combined with zucchini, fresh herbs and a little lemon, really do zing.
You could make them for dinner, but they’re the type of meal it pays to have prepared ahead of time, and stocked the fridge with. Take them to a picnic and eat either with a yoghurt sauce, or cram into pita bread with avocado, spinach and a little tomato chutney.
Alternatively, freeze individually and pull out when you’ve arrived home late, and there’s ‘nothing to eat’. Only thing is. There is. Fritter time.
- 500 GRAMS CHICKEN MINCE
- 5 ZUCCHINI, GRATED AND WITH WATER SQUEEZED OUT
- 1 BROWN ONION, PEELED AND FINELY DICED
- 225 GRAMS HALOUMI, GRATED
- 2 TABLESPOONS DILL, FINELY CHOPPED
- 2 TABLESPOONS MINT, FINELY CHOPPED
- 1 EGG, BEATEN
- 1 CUP RICE FLOUR
- RIND OF 1 LEMON
- 1 TEASPOON NUTMEG
- SALT AND PEPPER
- COOKING OIL OF YOUR PREFERENCE
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees and line a large baking tray.
- In a large bowl mix together all ingredients thoroughly and season well with pepper.
- Place a non stick fry pan over medium heat and add enough cooking oil to finely coat the bottom.
- Generously place heaped tablespoons of the mixture in the oil. Repeat 4 – 5 more times. Cook each fritter until golden (about 1 minute) and then carefully turn. Once both sides are seared transfer fritters to the baking tray. Repeat until all mixture has been used.
- Transfer baking tray to the over and cook for between 13 & 18 minutes. The cooking time depends on the size of your fritters. Check they’re cooked by pressing down with your finger – they should be firm, and offer little resistance in the middle.
- Season finished fritters with sea salt and serve with a garlic yoghurt sauce.