It’s hard to believe that something this simple can be so amazing, but if you like avocado, please please try this. It might just blow your mind.
By Bria Helgerson
How have I never eaten avocado toast before? How have I never even seen this dish before two weeks ago? It is an absolute tragedy that avocado toast has not been in my life until now. It’s so easy, so rich and decadent, yet so healthy and full of protein. I know it may seem melodramatic, it is just toast after all, but seriously, it is so good. This isn’t a complicated recipe, its barely even a recipe for that matter. You toast a slice of bread, smear on half an avocado, top with fresh ground pepper and sea salt, drizzle on some good olive oil, and call it breakfast.
- 1 large slice of thick cut rye bread (or any bread you fancy)
- 1 half avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed (save the other half for about 10 minutes after you finish eating this, cause you'll want to make another slice, to which I say: go for it)
- 4 thin slices of prosciutto
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
- fresh lemon juice (optional)
- In a small non-stick skillet, heat a small amount of olive oil over medium-low heat. Add the slices of prosciutto and cook until just crisped. Set aside.
- Toast your bread, and with a fork smash the avocado onto the toast. Drizzle toast with a small amount of olive oil and lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and lay slices of prosciutto on top.
Bria Helgerson is a Chicago based food blogger and pastry school student. Lover of all things sweet and savory, she cooks, bakes, and blogs as she navigates her culinary life at her website These Peas Are Hollow.