The marinade for these really brings the fajitas to a new level – it’s jam packed of fresh flavors.
By Chris Scheuer
We highly recommend serving these with sour cream and avocado. My mouth is watering just thinking about it!
Grilled Chicken Fajitas
The marinade for these really brings the fajitas to a new level - it's jam packed of fresh flavors.
Author: Chris Scheuer, adapted from Annie's Eats
Recipe Type: Main
Ingredients for the marinade:
- ½ cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1 jalapeño seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons minced cilantro
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the fajitas:
- 2-3 large chicken breasts butterflied (also works well with skirt or flank steak)
- 2 bell peppers, seeded and cut in half (I used 6 mini bell peppers)
- 1 large onion cut into think slices (do not separate the rings)
- flour tortillas
- Sour cream (we use Greek yogurt), smashed avocado or guacamole, lime slices, chopped cilantro
- In a medium bowl mix together the lime juice, oil, garlic, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, jalapeño cilantro, salt and pepper. Reserve ⅓ cup of the marinade and set aside. Place chicken in the marinade, cover and let sit in the refrigerator 15-30 minutes.
- Brush the peppers and onion slices with oil and season with salt and pepper. To grill fill up your chimney starter with enough coals or lump charcoal to cover the bottom of the grill with an even layer (or preheat your gas grill to medium high). When the coals are ready, spread them out in an even layer. Close charcoal or gas grill and allow grates to heat up. Place vegetables and marinated chicken on grill, turning the chicken 45 degrees after about 3 minutes to create grill marks. Continue to cook peppers and onions, flipping them until they are charred and the onions are translucent. Flip chicken breast and continue cooking until they reach 160 degrees or are no longer pink inside. Transfer to a platter and allow chicken to rest so juices redistribute.
- Separate the onions into rings and slice the peppers and chicken into strips. Drizzle remaining marinade over the chicken and vegetables and toss to coat. Serve the chicken and vegetables with the flour tortillas and your choice of toppings.