This is the perfect gift for cheese lovers everywhere. It’s sweet, simple, and you can make it more than a month in advance.
By Eleanor Jones
This isn’t just an ideal gift for a tricky to buy for fella – this is the perfect gift for cheese lovers everywhere. It’s sweet, simple, and you can make it more than a month in advance. What’s not to love?
- 6 red onions
- 2 white onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 50g light brown sugar
- 150g dark brown sugar
- 150ml balsamic vinegar
- 150ml red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp crushed chili flakes
- Peel and chop all 8 of the onions, cutting them into the finest possible slices.
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan, and add the onions.
- Cook over a low heat for 20 minutes, stirring gently to prevent burning, until the onions are soft.
- Stir in the sugars.
- Add the vinegars and chili flakes and simmer the mixture for a further 30 minutes, until most of the liquid has reduced and the chutney has become thick and sticky.
- Pour into hot, sterilized jars and seal.
- You can serve the chutney immediately, but it’s best if kept to mature for a month or more.
Eleanor Jones is an editorial assistant and writer by day, and a serial sugar junkie by night. A committed vegetarian, her posts are a mostly a mixture of tasty veggie treats and seriously decadent bakes. When she’s not cooking, Eleanor can be found watching old movies, cooing over expensive dresses, and searching the internet for pictures of animals in hilarious costumes. Her blog, mademoisellie, revolves around life, love and most importantly, food, in London.