This recipe celebrates matcha, a variety of green tea that is, above anything else, earthy and grassy.
By Mariela Alvarez Toro
Without any eggs or cream, this dairy free variation is easy to make, and requires no cooking. All the ingredients are poured into a high-powered blender until well incorporated then transferred into an ice cream maker. Because this required no actual heating or raw eggs, I encourage you to taste the ice cream and add more or less honey depending on what you like.
- 1 can quality full-fat coconut milk (splurge on the good stuff)
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 2-3 Tbsp matcha green tea powder
- ¼ cup pitted medjool dates
- ¼ cup honey (or maple syrup for vegan)
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- Place coconut milk, almond milk, matcha powder, dates and honey in a blender. Blend at high speed for a couple of minutes until everything is combined, taste for sweetness and adjust as necessary. Refrigerate blended mixture for 30 minutes. Transfer into ice cream maker and follow manufacturers instructions. Pour ice cream into freezer save container and freeze for 4-6 hours before serving. When ready to eat let sit at room temperature for 20 minutes for ice cream to soften. Enjoy!