In this version of Southekayi Hasi Gojju or cucumber in coconut sauce, all the ingredients are raw. So this dish is completely raw and yet delicious to taste.
By Nandita Nataraj
This is a true blue dish from Karnataka that makes an excellent side dish. Try serving this dish with either piping hot rotis or with rice and rasam. You will surprised as to how gratifying and wholesome this simple dish can be.
- Cucumbers- 3 small or 1 large, peeled, deseeded and finely chopped
- Tamarind- a small lime sized, soaked and juice extracted
- Coconut- ⅓rd cup
- Roasted gram- 1tbsp
- Cumin seeds- 1tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½tsp
- Salt to taste
- Jaggery- 1tbsp
- Green- 1 to 2
- Oil- 2tsp
- Mustard seeds- ½ tsp
- Red chili-1 or ½a tsp of red chili flakes
- Turmeric- a pinch
- Curry leaves- 8-10
- Asafetida-a pinch
- In a blender jar, combine the coconut, jaggery, salt, cumin seeds, mustard seeds, green chili, roasted gram and the tamarind extract and blend to a coarse paste.
- Add the ground paste to the chopped cucumber and mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard seeds. Once they pop, add the turmeric, asafetida, red chili flakes and the curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds. Once done, add the seasoning to the prepared gojju and serve immediately with hot rice.