Sweet Churros are one of those very popular street foods or street desserts in Turkey. They are mostly called Halka Tatlisi in Turkish, which translated means Circular Dessert, because of its shape.
By Zerrin Gunaydin
When I realized how popular Churros are around the world, I decided to name our halka tatlisi Sweet Churros to give you an idea about it. It is a cheap street dessert in Turkey and you just buy and eat it when walking on the street.
- 4 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 and ½ cup flour
- 2 cups water
- 50g butter
- 1 tsp sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 tbsp semolina
- 1 tbsp starch
- 2 cups sunflower oil to fry
- Start with its syrup. Mix sugar and water and heat it until it boils.
- Add in lemon juice when it gets a little thicker.
- Boil for a few minutes and let it cold.
- To prepare its dough, put water and butter in a pot and let it boil.
- Add in flour and stir fast.
- Add sugar and salt and stir over lowest heat until you get a non stick dough, for about 5 minutes.
- Take it from stove and let it cold stirring occasionally.
- Break eggs into it one by one when it reaches at room temperature.
- Add in semolina and starch and mix with a spatula or mixer until smooth.
- Pour this dough into a piping bag and squeeze in a circular shape.
- Stick the egdes.
- Put these circular desserts into cold oil and then bring the heat to medium.
- Fry them until crunchy and golden.
- Toss them in cold syrup when they are still hot and wait in syrup for a few minutes so that they can absorb it.
- Then take them out and serve.
Zerrin Gunaydin is a food blogger living in Turkey. She loves to share recipes mainly from Turkish cuisine on her blog Give Recipe. Zerrin is trying to inform people around the world about Turkish cuisine, which has a very large repertoire with its various kind of dishes.