A delicious dish traditionally made by Sicilians, hand crafted with cheese and red pepper, that can be customized to incorporate other fine cheeses as well.
A dish full of flavor, suitable not only for special occasions but for everyday delights, too. A delicious dish traditionally made by a Sicilian hand crafted with cheese and red pepper, that can be customized to incorporate other fine cheeses as well.
- 1 kg (2 pounds-4 ounces) potatoes
- 2 leeks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60 g (2 ounces) butter
- 100 g (3½ ounces-½ cup) capers
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated pepper
- 70 g (2½ ounces) Sicilian cheese with chilli (or other hard cheese)
- 1 sheet (or about one 14 ounce package) puff pastry
- Peel the potatoes and let cook with leeks (washed and cut).
- Once cooked, sieved potatoes and seasoned with butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the capers, fresh grated pepper and mix.
- Roll out the pastry on a baking sheet greased or covered with parchment paper.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes and add the cheese diced.
- Bake, in preheated oven, for 20 minutes at 180°C (350°F/ gas 4).