A delicious dish traditionally made by Sicilians, hand crafted with cheese and red pepper, that can be customized to incorporate other fine cheeses as well.
A dish full of flavor, suitable not only for special occasions but for everyday delights, too. A delicious dish traditionally made by a Sicilian hand crafted with cheese and red pepper, that can be customized to incorporate other fine cheeses as well.
- 1 kg 2 pounds-4 ounces potatoes
- 2 leeks
- salt and pepper to taste
- 60 g 2 ounces butter
- 100 g 3½ ounces-½ cup capers
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated pepper
- 70 g 2½ ounces Sicilian cheese with chilli (or other hard cheese)
- 1 sheet or about one 14 ounce package puff pastry
- Peel the potatoes and let cook with leeks (washed and cut).
- Once cooked, sieved potatoes and seasoned with butter, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the capers, fresh grated pepper and mix.
- Roll out the pastry on a baking sheet greased or covered with parchment paper.
- Cover with the mashed potatoes and add the cheese diced.
- Bake, in preheated oven, for 20 minutes at 180°C (350°F/ gas 4).
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.