Get on board with this squash Buddha bowl loaded with tofu and veggie atop delicious coconut rice.
I think there are two ways to look at what has become known as a “Buddha Bowl” …
1. Trendy Instagram silliness
2. The greatest food invention ever
I am on Team #2. After all, who decided that a dinner should be a piece of meat, two sides and a starch? I am so not here for that! And you guys know my feelings about meat… it’s simply not required, full stop.
This is my favorite kind of dinner to have after coming home from the gym. You’ve got enough carbs to make you feel like you won’t kill someone, but they aren’t the only filling part of the meal. Tons of fiber from piles of plant goodies. And protein like whoa from seared tofu and healthy fat from avocado. Really, all that’s missing is a beer (to replace electrolytes, right???)
Also, you may notice the absence of a sauce in the photo… I am all for a drizzle of sriracha, but I don’t always use sauce outside of that and some high quality extra virgin olive oil. Once again, just not necessary! But if you feel differently, I also think sriracha mayo or yogurt is generally a good idea.
- 2 cup white basmati rice
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk (2 cups)
- 2 cups water
- ½ tsp. salt
- 1 block tofu
- 1 avocado
- 1 whole delicata squash, cut into half moons
- 4 cups spinach
- ¼ cup pomegranate seeds
- Optional: sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Toss the delicata squash in oil and salt, and roast for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cook the rice by simmering in water, salt and coconut milk for about 20 minutes, or until all water is absorbed.
- Cut the tofu into ½ inch slices, and dry using a paper towel. Season with salt. Heat ⅛ inch of oil in a skillet over medium heat and fry tofu until each side is golden brown. The tofu may initially stick to the pan, but when it has a nice crust it will easily separate. Be patient! I like to chop it into crouton-sized pieces after cooking it.
- When the tofu is done, remove from the pan and wilt the spinach in the remaining oil, seasoning with salt.
- Finally, build two bowls: rice goes on the bottom, followed by the tofu, squash and spinach. Finally, top with avocado slices, pomegranate seeds and sesame seeds.