Sheermal is an aromatic flatbread flavored with saffron and ground cardamom. It’s delicious on it’s own or slathered with Nutella.
I recently made an aromatic flatbread called Sheermal. These are traditional flatbreads of Persion origin — frequently made in Iran. They brought them to India and this bread is made popular in Kashmiri and Hyderabadi cuisines.
Sheermal is a rich bread made with enriched dough that has eggs, butter and milk. I made the recipe vegan by substituting egg with egg replacer powder, milk with almond milk and butter with butter flavored coconut oil. The bread turned out soft, fluffy and absolutely yummy. You wouldn’t be able to tell that this is a vegan recipe.
My favorite part of this flatbread is the beautiful flavor saffron imparts along with the flavorful cardamom. AND the plumped up raisins on top with the chopped nuts makes it extra special. Serve these warm from the oven with some tea and ENJOY!!Print
Sheermal: Saffron and Cardamom Flatbread
- Author: Pavani Hideout
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 flatbreads 1x
- Category: Baking, Bread
For the Dough:
- 1/3 cup Lukewarm Almond Milk
- 1/8 tsp saffron
- 2 tbsp Vegan Butter (melted I used butter flavored coconut oil from Barleon’s)
- 1½ cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup Wholewheat Pastry Flour
- 2 tsp Instant Yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cardamom
For the Topping:
- 2 tbsp Warm Almond Milk
- 4 ~5 Saffron strands
- 3 tbsp Golden Raisins
- 2 tbsp Chopped Nuts
- Add saffron and vegan butter to the warm milk and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, yeast, sugar, salt and ground cardamom. Add the warm milk, mix and knead to form a soft, pliable dough. Cover and set aside until the dough doubles on volume, about 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- For the topping, Combine saffron with warm almond milk and set aside.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. Roll the dough into a 5~6″ round disc about ½” thick. Prick the top of the dough with a fork, then brush with almond milk and sprinkle raisins and nuts on top — press lightly.
- Transfer the dough onto the prepared baking sheet. Make 2 more and place them on the baking sheet.
- Bake for 4~6 minutes or until the bread is golden, cooked through and starting to get brown spots on top.
- Keep the baked sheermal warm by keeping them covered in a kitchen towel. Repeat with the remaining dough balls. Serve them warm and Enjoy!!
Hello There!! I am a full time mom and a Food blogger. I am a vegetarian and I share my tried and tested vegetarian dishes in my blog 'Cook's Hideout'.