A stunning flatbread pizza is a delicious way to end summer. Sweet nectarines, salty prosciutto and tangy goat cheese make for a flavorful delight. Drizzle with chili honey and fresh mint for a summer symphony.
By Tian Lee
So long sweet summer (almost!). The long bright days, the height of the sweetest fruits imaginable will be winding down in a matter of weeks. I’d like to toast to this great season with my favorite flatbread pizza recipe!
It features fresh, sweet, luscious nectarines, savory prosciutto, tangy goat cheese, rich parmesan shavings and fresh mint. In my goal to touch all areas of our “palates,” I also top it off with a spicy & sweet chili-infused honey. Ever heard a symphony crecendo to the most beautiful and dramatic part of a song? Yes, that’s what all of these ingredients together tastes like. Maybe I’m being a bit dramatic, but you should definitely not just take my word for it.
- 1 bag of pre-made pizza dough (Whole Foods or Trader Joes sells these. I often use whole wheat to go the healthier route).
- 2 fresh nectarines (sliced thinly)
- 3 ounces prosciutto
- 5 ounces goat cheese
- 1 small bunch of mint lives (pulled from their stems)
- ¼ cup fresh Parmesan cheese shavings (Call me a cheese snob but I avoid the kind from Kraft. The better cheese makes a difference all the way).
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 teaspoon chili flakes
- Pre-heat your oven for 450 F.
- Let the pizza dough rest for 30 min to an hour. If you take it out straight from the fridge, the dough is very difficult to mold and stretch because the gluten molecules have not relaxed yet.
- Stretch out the dough on a cookie sheet. Make sure the sheet is well greased with a bit of olive oil or whatever you have on hand. Use some flour if the dough is sticky to keep it from sticking to your hands. The key when stretching dough is making sure you are manipulating it in a slow and steady fashion, while focusing on the edges. Make sure it’s as thin as possible so that it’s nice and crunchy when it’s done cooking.
- Distribute goat cheese onto the stretched out dough evenly.
- Take sliced nectarines and distribute evenly.
- Distribute parmesan cheese shavings on top.
- Place in oven (lowest rack). Leave it in for 7 min (continually check every few minutes from there to make sure it doesn’t burn). It’s actually very difficult to burn, but keep an eye on it! It’s ready when you flip up the bottom with a spatula and the crust is nice, brown and golden.
- Prepare ¼ cup honey with 2 tsp chili flakes. Mix well. If your honey is too stiff you can microwave it a bit to warm it up (10 seconds).
- Remove from oven. Place on cooling rack.
- Rip up prosciutto and distribute over pizza.
- Toss mint leaves on top. Drizzle with chili-infused honey.