Split yellow moong dal is cooked and stir fried with this thin long vegetable, also known as snake gourd, or potlakaya.
By Pushpa Kumar
Snake Gourd Stir Fry
Split yellow moong dal is cooked and stir fried with this thin long vegetable also known as snake gourd or potlakaya. This vegetable offers a good amount of flavor that I love incorporating into my cooking. I usually make this stir fry using to go as an accompaniment to a hot spicy curry to be served with rice. It also goes well with yogurt and rice.
- Author: Pushpa Kumar
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- 1/2 cup yellow split moong dal
- 2 cups scaped,chopped deseeded gourd
- Fistful of fresh grated coconut
- Roughly chopped onion a bit
- Turmeric powder a few pinches
- 1–2 tbsp Oil
- Salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp urad dal
- Few red dry peppers
- 1–2 hot green chilli pepper-chopped
- Cook the dal with some salt and turmeric powder till it is well done,but not mushy.Cook or steam the gourd seperately.In a pan heat oil and add the seasonings then add onions and a little salt,when the onion turns translucent,add the cooked gourd and the cooked dal.Stir to blend well,sprinkle the grated coconut and stir again to blend well.Enjoy with some rice and curry or yogurt.
Pushpa lives in Southern California.She loves listening to good music,travelling and enjoys photography.Her blog Taste as You Cook reflects her experiments in the kitchen.
nice post..but i wounder abot the design on the white deep plate on the picture..