This is a savory pumpkin recipe that will totally blow you away with all the different layers of delicious flavors. Its savory, spicy, tangy all in one, and its totally different from the sweet creations thats normally associated with pumpkins.
By Soni Sinha
With the abundance of Pumpkins this season, its always a challenge to come up with new and exciting recipes that are easy to make, yet different and of course taste delicious.We recently went Pumpkin picking and got ourselves some gorgeous looking pumpkins in two different sizes one large and one small.The smaller pumpkin is what I’ve used here today.It was unripe and I would recommend using unripe Pumpkins for this preparation, since they are not overly sweet.
This is a savory Pumpkin recipe that will totally blow you away with all the different layers of delicious flavors. Its savory, spicy, tangy all in one, and its totally different from the sweet creations thats normally associated with Pumpkins.
- Small Unripe Pumpkin (peeled)- 2 cups Cubed
- Onions-1 cup chopped
- Crushed Ginger-1 tbsp
- Crushed Garlic-1 tbsp
- Jalapenos/Green Chili-1 chopped
- Large Tomatoes-2 (pureed)
- Ground Coriander-1 tbsp
- Ground Cumin-1 tbsp
- Garam Masala-2 tsp
- Turmeric-1 tsp
- Red Chili Powder (Cayenne)-1 tsp
- Water-2 cups
- Salt- to taste
- Oil-3 tbsp
- In a skillet, heat oil and add the onions.
- Saute until slightly golden and add the ginger and garlic.
- Add the spices and saute on low heat for about 2 minutes stirring constantly.Add the jalapeno/green chili
- Add the tomato puree and continue to cook on medium heat, until the oil begins to separate from the sides (about 8 minutes)
- Add the pumpkin pieces.Stir and mix well.Add salt and water.Mix well, cover and cook on medium until fully cooked (about 10-15 minutes)
- Serve hot!
Soni is a recipe developer, food writer/blogger who creates recipes with a healthy Indian twist. She is a passionate cook and her recipes cater to readers who are are willing to try contemporary Indian flavors in wide ranging fusion dishes that she creates.She shares all her cooking adventures on her blog Soni's Food.