The cranberries add the perfect tartness to the sweet apples and herby, crumbly topping.
By Natasha Steinberg
I love the ease and comfort of a warm crisp for dessert. This one is no exception. The cranberries add the perfect tartness to the sweet apples and herby, crumbly topping. And drizzled with a little creme anglaise, this dessert is practically perfect.
- 10-12 oz. fresh cranberries, rinsed
- 2 - 2½ lbs. apples, peeled, cored, and cut into ¼-inch slices
- juice of 1 lemon
- 133 g (2/3 cup) granulated sugar
- 28 g (3 Tbsp.) cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla bean paste or 1 vanilla bean, scraped
- ¾ cup ivory teff flour
- ½ cup almond flour
- ½ cup plus 2 Tbsp. gluten-free rolled oats
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 1 Tbsp. rosemary, finely chopped
- zest of 1 lemon
- 113 g (1/2 cup) butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place cranberries and sliced apples in a large bowl. Squeeze in lemon juice and toss to coat. Add sugar, cornstarch, and vanilla and toss to evenly coat. Transfer to an 8x13 baking dish. Place dish on a baking sheet. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together flours, oats, sugars, salt, rosemary, and lemon zest with your fingers or a whisk until combined. Pour the butter over top of the dry ingredients and use your fingers or a spatula to incorporate until the mixture is evenly moistened. Distribute the crumble topping evenly over the fruit and gently pat down. It may seem that the dish is overfilled, but the fruit will cook down when baked.
- Bake until topping is golden and filling is bubbly, about 50 minutes. Serve warm drizzled with creme anglaise.
Natasha is a love-and-matriarch-taught maker of sweet things. She is passionate about using local and seasonal ingredients and making simple, satisfying sweets that make even the least of sweet tooths swoon. Although she is a native Texan, she currently resides in Atlanta where she is finishing up law school and documenting her sweet adventures through photos, recipes, and stories on her blog at tartletsweets.blogspot.com.