Try this red pepper jam on your sausage sandwich at your next tailgate or cookout for an extra dimension of flavor.
By Taylor Mathis and Sally James
- ½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 5 cups yellow onions, chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon coarse ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 cups chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chicken stock
- In a large sauce pan melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes. Stir frequently and cook for 5 minutes. Add the sugar, vinegar and lemon juice. Cook, stirring frequently, for 15 minutes.
- Add the red bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, over medium heat for 20 minutes. Add the chicken stock and cook , stirring occasionally, for 20 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat. Using an immersion blender, blend ? of the onion pepper mixture. Stir jam to blend.
- Return jam to heat and cook over medium high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove jam from heat. Let cool to room temperature. Refrigerate over night and transport in a cooler to your tailgate. Bring to room temperature before serving.
Sally James and Taylor Mathis are a mother and son duo from Charlotte, NC. Sally, a professional recipe developer, and Taylor, a professional Food and Lifestyle photographer, work together to create beautiful and delicious recipes designed to be eaten anywhere! Together they are the creators and authors of the food Blog Taylor Takes A Taste and worked together on The Southern Tailgating Cookbook.