Joan Nova with a healthier and more Mediterranean kind of ‘fish fry’.
Text And Photo By Joan Nova
This is a different kind of ‘fish fry’…more Mediterranean in its flavor profile and healthier for you since it is finished in the oven instead of remaining in oil. We pass on the fries and serve it on a bed of white beans. And to brighten it up, try the mildly sweet mint oil and fresh tomatoes.
- fish fillet (I used local Lane Snapper)
- polenta mix
- olive oil
- capers (chopped)
- fresh mint
- cannellini beans
- dry seasonings (salt, pepper, paprika)
- fresh tomato (minced)
- Coat fish with olive oil and sprinkle with dry seasonings.
- Pat down with polenta mix and chopped capers to form crust.
- Fry skin side down in very hot cast iron pan and finished in oven.
- Serve over white cannellini beans that have been pureed with a drizzle of olive oil and salt + pepper.
- Finish with chopped tomato and mint for color and freshness.
- Add a drizzle of mint oil. (fresh mint blended with extra virgin olive oil, a little honey and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.)
Joan Nova is the publisher of FOODalogue: Meandering Meals, Musings + Travel which melds her lifelong passions for food, travel, photography and publishing. Her culinary style is bold and colorful with finishing touches that take each dish to the next level. She is an active participant in many online food organizations.