Ditch the usual sandwiches you pack and make yourself something seriously delicious for lunch with this chickpea gyro recipe. In under 30 minutes, you’ll have an ultra-tasty lunch ready to pack up and take to work or school.
I’ve been in love with gyros for a loooong time. It goes back to when I lived in Alaska and trips to “the city” involved going to the shopping mall then ducking into the small Greek shack next door to grab some gyros. Then I moved to Europe and learned about the late night food magnificence that is the doner kebab (a sort of similar dish to gyros), and my love grew more. But then I decided to eat more vegetarian and was suddenly left with a gaping hole where gyros used to be. So I created Roasted Chickpea Gyros. These chickpea gyros quickly became THE most sought-after recipe on Live Eat Learn. They balance spicy seasoning with refreshing tzatziki and are SO filling.
But there’s just one problem. You can’t take them for lunch very easily (which of course, you will want to do. They’re THAT good). So today we’re transforming this popular wrap recipe into a meal-prep-able, travel-friendly form! Spiced roasted chickpeas, easy tzatziki, sliced pita bread, and a quick veggie salad. Vegetarian meal prep lunch time starts now!
- 1 15-oz can chickpeas 425 g
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- Seasonings: 1 Tbsp paprika, ½ tsp ground black pepper, ½ tsp cayenne pepper, ¼ tsp salt
- 4 pita flatbreads sliced into wedges
- ¼ red onion sliced
- 2 cups spinach 60 g
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes 150 g, halved
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Chickpeas: Pat dry chickpeas with a paper towel, removing any skins that may come off. Gently toss chickpeas with oil and seasonings. Spread onto a greased rimmed baking sheet and roast at 400 degrees F (204 C) for about 20 minutes, until slightly crispy.
- Tzatziki: Click the link above for the recipe.
- Assemble: Spoon chickpeas evenly into 4 or 5 lunch boxes. Add pita bread wedges, veggies, and sauce (if your boxes do not have separate compartments, store the sauce in a separate container to keep the chickpeas and spinach crisp.)