This hearty oxtail and beef noodle soup with pickled chilis with fill your home with cozy, irresistible aromas.
Aromatic, meaty and comforting with the bursting flavor from a myriad of spices, one mouthful will melt your heart!
I am using the oxtails to make the rich and gelatinous broth as a base. It requires long and slow cooking to release its beefy juices and collagen. The coriander, pickled chillies, roasted peanuts and lemon juice compliment perfectly with the earthy flavor of the soup.
Cozy Oxtail and Beef Noodle SoupLei Zhang
- 300 g oxtails
- 500 g boneless beef shank cut into 2-3 cm pieces
- 2 L water
- 300 g fresh noodles
- ¼ cup soy source
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 slices ginger
- 3 star anise
- 3 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- ½ cup rice wine
- 4 heads bok choy
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup roasted peanuts
- ½ cup chopped coriander
- 2 tablespoons of pickled chillies
- Parboiling beef — Bring water to a boil in a sauce pan. Put oxtails and beef shank into saucepan and boil for 5 minutes. Discard the hot water and wash the gunk off the beef with cold water.
- Beef broth --- in a large stockpot, add the par-boiled oxtails and beef shank, soy source, fish oil, sugar, rice wine, ginger, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick and water to the pot. Simmer for approximately 2 hours, or until the beef is fork tender.
- Noodle soup --- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the bok choy and cook about 2 minutes until tender. Remove the bok choy and set aside. Bring the water back to a boil. Add the noodles and cook until tender, drain the noodles. Divide noodles and bok choy among bowls. Add the beef and hot broth into the bowls. Garnish with coriander, pickled chilles, roasted peanuts and server with lemon wedges.
My name is Lei. I grew up in China and have been living in New Zealand for almost two decades. During the day time, I work in an IT job. My passion for food and photograph has led me to this space where I can share my recipes and express my artistic side. I am striving to find the best matched ingredients to create the simple and tasty dishes. I summarize the recipes to as simple as possible and leave the room for your creativity. Thanks for stopping by, grab your aprons, get cooking, enjoy the food and life!