A comforting dish for the cool nights or rainy days of summer that is kept feeling light with a chickpea tofu topped with caramelized onions and cilantro.
Here is a recipe for a curry made with the chickpeas tofu. I recently made my own chickpea tofu, you can find the recipe here. Dive into a bowl of this vegan Indian curry topped with fresh cilantro and caramelized onions.
Chickpea Tofu CurryPallavi Gupta
For the Spice Paste (Masala)
- Click the link above for the spice paste blend.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp masala
- 4 small tomatoes pureed
- 1/4 cup cashews + 1 tbsp white poppy seeds soaked in water for an hour
- 4 cups water
- 1/4 cup tomato puree
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 cup chickpea tofu diced
Make the Curry:
- Add soaked cashews and poppy seeds in a blender along with a few tablespoons of water and whiz to form a smooth paste.
- In a wok heat oil on medium heat. Add the prepared masala and cook for a minute. Add pureed tomatoes, tomato puree, salt and sugar and cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add water and cashew & poppy seed paste and stir to mix well. Bring it to a boil and add the tofu. Continue to cook covered for another 3 to 4 minutes on low.
- Add lemon juice and turn the heat off. Transfer in a serving dish and garnish with fresh cilantro and caramelized onions.
Pallavi is a vegetarian globetrotter, who currently lives in the southern part of India. Past ten years of her life includes living in six cities in three different countries. It has added to her vast exposure of cuisines from different parts of the world which is now reflected in her cooking. She shares her knowledge of vegetarian and vegan recipe from around the world via her blog Veggie Zest. When not cooking or photographing, she does graphic design.