Florentines are delicate, crispy, lace cookies made of almonds and coated with a sweet mixture of sugar and honey. The cookies are sweet, nutty, crunchy, chewy plus a hint of orange zest- a perfect mingle of texture and flavors.
By Sasi Balaraman
Florentines are delicate, crispy, lace cookies made of almonds and coated with a sweet mixture of sugar and honey. The cookies come out wonderfully baked and well rounded – sweet, nutty, crunchy, chewy – a perfect mingle of texture and flavors. Orange zest makes all the difference by adding a deep flavor and gives an extra zing that the cookie needs. Right on season, these cookies are perfect as “Holiday give-away gifts”.
- Whole walnuts - ¼ cup
- Blanched whole almonds - ¾ cup
- All-purpose flour - 1.5 tbsp
- Orange zest - 1 tbsp
- Salt - ⅛ tsp
- Sugar - ⅓ cup
- Heavy cream - 1 tbsp
- Honey - 1 tbsp
- Unsalted butter - 2.5 tbsp
- Pure vanilla extract - ¼ tsp
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F for 15 mins.
- Pulse almonds & walnuts in a food processor until finely chopped, but not pasty. Combine the nuts, flour, orange zest, salt in a big bowl. Set it aside.
- In a small saucepan, cook sugar, heavy cream, honey, butter over medium heat. Cook the mixture until it comes to a rolling boil and the sugar is completely dissolved. Continue to boil for another 1 min. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla. Pour it over the almond mixture and stir just to combine. Set aside to cool.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and grease it with little butter. Take about a tsp of the batter and make small balls out of it. Place them on the baking sheet leaving about 2-3 inches between each cookie, as it spreads out in the oven.
- Bake for about 10 mins rotating the baking pan in between until the cookies are thin and evenly browned. Let the cookies cool on the baking sheet for 15 mins or more.
A south-Indian food enthusiast turned blogger started 'Sasi-Samayal-Kurippu' in an attempt to record and pass-on some of her family's old and traditional recipes. Now, spreading her experimental wings in trying other international/fusion cuisines too. Her idea of recipes are always simple, easy & healthy home-style cooking. Her passion and interest towards cooking, blogging and photography has always gotten the best out of her!