Get ready for an indulgent blend of creamy tea with warm spices and rich cocoa.
By Lail Hossain
“Chai” warms the heart and “hot chocolate” warms the soul. Then, what do you get when you combine a kiss of chocolate to spiced tea? A heart and soul warming drink perfect for anytime, any day, anywhere. Get ready for an indulgent blend of creamy tea with warm spices and rich cocoa.
- 1 tablespoon hot water
- 2 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa powder, extra for dusting
- 2 cups milk (cows, almond, soy, etc)
- 2 cardamom
- 1 cinnamon stick, about 2” long
- 2 tea bags or 1½ teaspoon black tea
- 2 teaspoon sugar or choice of sweetener (optional)
- Add milk, cinnamon and cardamom in a small saucepan. Heat the milk over medium heat until small bubbles start to appear around the edge of the saucepan.
- Turn off the heat and add the tea bags or loose tea. Steep for 3-4 minutes by covering the saucepan. Discard spices and teabag. If using loose tea, use a strainer to strain the spices and steeped tea.
- Sift cocoa powder into two cups to get rid of any lumps in the powder. divide sweetener in the two cups.
- Add hot (not boiling) water and whisk vigorously until cocoa is dissolved and no lumps remaining.
- Froth the milk tea until foamy, about 10 seconds with a frother. (Optional).
- Add the hot chai foam in the cups and dust extra cocoa on the top.