PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
This macaroni and cheese is nutty from both the havarti cheese and freshly ground nutmeg, a must have in any cheese sauce.
By Marnely Rodriguez-Murray
Our household is obsessed with cheese – our cheese drawer typically has at least a variety of five cheeses at any given time. And of course, our favorite thing to make is macaroni and cheese, this time with the addition of havarti cheese from Castello, bacon, and a sprinkling of cilantro for added freshness and flavor!
Castello Havarti are creamy, mild and semi-firm cheeses. They are all slightly tangy and aromatic, without a rind. The cheeses have a soft and creamy consistency that is easy to slice and develops in flavor and character as it matures.
- ½ pound pasta (any shape), cooked and drained
- ¼ cup chopped bacon
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1-2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1½ cups whole milk
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup shredded Castello Havarti Cheese
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- In a large saute pan, cook the bacon until crispy. Remove bacon but leave bacon fat drippings in pan.
- Add butter and flour and cook until a roux is formed, about 3 minutes.
- Whisk in the milk and all the seasonings. Once thickened, add cheese and chopped cilantro.
- Toss sauce with pasta and serve with crispy bacon and fresh cilantro on top.