Replace you morning or afternoon cold brew with this ultra refreshing coffee granita topped with whipped coconut cream.
I have always known granita to be a refreshing fruit slush that comes in flavours like lemon or melon, but on a trip to Sicily I ordered a coffee granita and was blown away with what I received. The coffee was strong and deliciously slushy like and it was topped with a layer of very thick cream. You could eat the two layers separately or stir them together and then dunk pieces of brioche into it. This was a coffee game changer and I was in heaven.
Its light, refreshing and tastes like a Frappuccino but is so much better. So how did I make this recipe without dairy or refined sugar? The coffee granita is made from very strong coffee and honey (or maple syrup) and is topped with coconut whip that’s mixed with vanilla extract and a touch of honey.
One recipe makes a big batch of approximately 10 servings of granita, so you can store it in a container in the freezer and simply bring it out 5 to 10 minutes before serving to allow it to slightly soften before you scoop it out. The coconut cream can be made ahead and stored in the fridge for a few weeks. Alternatively I filled a few small cups with the granita, topped them with the coconut cream and then froze them so you can have the single servings all ready to go.
Cool Coffee GranitaCarmen Sturdy
- 3 cups strong coffee
- ¼ cup honey or maple syrup
- 1 can coconut milk refrigerated for at least 6 hours
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp chopped hazelnuts optional
- Place the coffee and honey in a large pot and bring to a boil on medium heat, stirring to allow the honey to dissolve into the coffee.
- Pour the liquid into a baking dish and place in the freezer. Approximately every 45 minutes remove from the freezer and stir with a fork to break up any of the large frozen chunks.
- After 2 to 3 hours the entire mixture should be frozen to a slush like mixture.
- To make the coconut cream, open the can of coconut milk, making sure that you don't shake it. Scoop out the thick coconut cream, saving the water for another use such as smoothies. Place the coconut cream in a bowl, add in the vanilla extract and honey and mix using an electric mixer. Don't over mix otherwise the cream will become liquid (if this happens, place the cream in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes or in the fridge for an hour or so).
- Scoop the granita into a glass and top with a scoop of the coconut cream. Top with chopped hazelnuts or a dusting of cocoa powder. Serve immediately.
Carmen discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (a diet free from grains, gluten, refined sugar, processed food, lactose and soya) after being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease 2 years ago. She now lives symptom and medication free thanks to the diet. She created Every Last Bite to share healthy recipes and show people that no matter how restricting your diet, you can still enjoy delicious food.