Carrot Top Pesto, a recipe that’s versatile, naturally vegan, and super budget-friendly. Plus, it helps to reduce food waste by making a delicious use of the carrot tops.
Chef Alfred Portale of his namesake restaurant in NYC shares his rendition of carrot top pesto recipe. His recipe uses every part of the vegetable, making it both zero waste and delivering a summer freshness year-round. The candy cane beets and rainbow carrots make this dish a feast for your eyes as well as your palate.
Chef Alfred Portale loves to use pestos throughout the summer, and are perfect bursts of bright herbal flavor to celebrate the bounty of the season. They are so quick and simple to make and ideal for dressing salads, grilled fish, or pasta.
Known for his artistic presentations, Chef Portale prefers to “paint” the bottom of the plate with pesto, which provides a beautiful presentation along with a perfectly balanced dish. The pestos can be made ahead and present a dramatic restaurant-style dish with very little effort yet impactful flavor.
Carrot Top Pesto
- Category: Pesto
- Cuisine: Italian
- 1/2 cup carrot top leaves
- 1/8 cup basil
- 1/4 cup parsley
- 3/4 cup toasted marcona almonds
- 2/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp coarse salt
- Bring a small saucepan of water to boil. Prepare an ice bath.
- Blanch carrot top leaves and herbs until just wilted, about 60 seconds.
- Remove with slotted spoon and place in ice bath to stop the cooking and set the color. Strain and gently squeeze out excess water.
- Combine all the ingredients in a blender and, with the machine running, slowly add to create a smooth emulsion.
Pesto can be stored in an airtight container refrigerated for up to one week.
Keywords: carrot top pesto, pesto
Chef Alfred Portale brings his heritage and passion for the cuisine and culture of Italy to his namesake restaurant, serving a contemporary Italian menu in a relaxed and convivial setting in the heart of New York City’s Chelsea neighborhood.
126 West 18th Street, NYC
Alyssa Holder is a writer specializing in food and travel topics since 2015.