Chocolate and alcohol, it’s a no brainer, right? Right!
By Shuchi Mittal
These Brandy brownies turned out really moist and chocolaty. I mean chocolate and alcohol- it’s a no brainer right! Best part: they were made with whole wheat flour. I cut them into bite sized pieces, and served with a brandy cranberry chocolate glaze, just for some color. Comfort-icious!
- 200 gm dark chocolate (I used 75% cadburys semi sweet)
- 113 gm unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup wholewheat flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 3 large eggs
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup baking chocolate chips (optional)
- ½ cup chopped nuts (optional- I am not a fan so I didn't add them)
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- 2 tablespoons brandy
- 50 gm baking chocolate pieces or 1 cup baking choco chips (60% dark or semi-sweet)
- Heat the butter and chocolate over a pot of boiling water till its melted and well blended.
- Remove from heat, add the sugar and cocoa, mix well and let it cool to room temperature.
- Once cooled, add the brandy and vanilla essence. Mix well and beat for a few minutes.
- Add in the eggs, one by one, beating well after each addition. Sometimes the mixture may curdle a bit when the egg meets the brandy, but don't worry, beat it well and it'll come back together.
- Lastly, add in the flour, milk, choco chips and nuts (if you're using them). Fold in the mixture till all ingredients are well mixed.
- Grease a baking tray and pre heat the oven to 350 degree F.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes, or till a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Do not overbake or the brownies will turn out dry.
- Cool and cut into small pieces.
- Soak the dried cranberries overnight in 2 tablespoons of brandy till they re-hydrate. Transfer them to a non-stick pan and cook them down for 1-2 minutes on medium heat -enough for them to become soft, but not enough for the alcohol to evaporate.
- Melt the chocolate pieces/chips in the microwave at high for 1 minute. Stir till all the chocolate has melted and is smooth. Dip each brownie in the chocolate and top with piece of the cranberry. Cool and serve!