Store this fava bean and pumpkin seed pesto in the refrigerator and pull it out whenever you are in a hurry and can’t be very creative, mix it with pasta, spread it on bread or add as a dip for veggies.
By Prerna Singh
- 1 cup fava beans (blanched and skinned)
- ¼ cup green pumpkin seeds
- Juice of 1½ lemons
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup olive oil
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste
- Put all the ingredients (except oil) in a blender or food processor and turn it on.
- While the blade's still moving slowly pour the oil into the food processor through the opening on the lid.
- In the end you should get a smooth (or a little granular, depending on your taste) pesto. Spread it on the toast or mix it with pasta.
Prerna is a food writer and photographer who contributes to sites like Menuism and WFAEeats (NPR Charlotte). With a goal of making Indian cuisine approachable, she created Indian Simmer, a blog nominated for 2011 Best Food Blogs by Saveur Magazine.