The spiced, warm winter salad is rich in protein and color. Serve this yoghurt dish alongside roasted meats or enjoy on its own.
By Trisha Jones
Having returned from Christmas and New Year’s – I am very much in need of a detox. Mix it up with this warm beetroot and chickpea salad. Really easy and pairs well with roasted meats or some grilled halloumi – particularly in a pitta or flatbread.
- 1 beetroot (peeled and grated)
- 7 ounces (200g) canned chickpeas
- 4 Tablespoons plain yoghurt
- 1 red onion (thinly sliced)
- 1 Tablespoon ghee (or butter)
- 3 shallots (finely chopped)
- 2 pinches ground black pepper
- salt (to taste)
- 4 Tablespoons malt vineger
- 3 teaspoons Cumin
- ½ Cup (100ml) chicken stock
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 tsp dried chilli flakes
- In a bowl mix together the grated beetroot and thinly slice red onion with 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- In a pot add the ghee and shallots on a medium/high heat until the shallot begins to turn golden. Now add the strained chickpeas and allow to fry for about 4 minutes (add more ghee if it gets too dry).
- Add the stock to the pot along with the cumin, chilli flakes, vinegar and salt and pepper to taste.
- Turn to a low heat and allow to simmer until the chick peas soften slightly (20 mins)
- Take the chickpeas off the stove and allow to cool.
- Once cooled strain the chickpeas (keeping the sauce in a bowl for later). Mix the chickpeas with the yoghurt and place in the centre of the beetroot and onions for effect.
- Drizzle the sauce over the beetroot. And drizzle raw olive oil over the yoghurt and chick peas.