These smoky, spicy Malaysian chicken wings can be grilled over coals or roasted in the oven for some of the best chicken of your life.
Get your hands on these smoky, savory BBQ chicken wings with a tangy, spicy chili sauce. Grilled over charcoal or roasted in the oven, these wings are perfect for summer.
- 2½ lb chicken wings
- ½ cup light soy sauce
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 tbs fish sauce
- 3 tbs thick caramel sauce
- 1 tbs sesame oil
- 6 garlic cloves crushed
- 4 green onions cut into 3" length
- 1 " ginger crushed
- Pinch of white pepper
- 4 red fresno chilies deseed three (or more for less heat)
- ½ " - 1" ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1¾ tsp sugar
- 2-3 tsp rice vinegar
- ¼ cup chicken broth
- ½ tsp salt
- Combine all the ingredients for the marinade and marinate the wings overnight. Flip a few times for even marinating.
- Place all the ingredients for the chili sauce in a blender. Blend until smooth. Let sit in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour so that the flavors can meld.
- To grill: Remove wings from the marinade and grill the wings for 20-25 minutes (flipping occasionally) until beautifully brown and charred. To roast: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Remove wings from the marinade. Place wings on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (not pretty side up).
- Bake for 20 minutes, flip and bake another 20 minutes. Set the oven to broil and broil for 1-2 minutes. Serve immediate with chili sauce.
Ai Ping is from Malaysia but also calls Taiwan and the U.S. her home. Though armed with an IT and business background, she still prefers cooking, photography & blogging. Her website, Curious Nut says it all with its motto 'exploring life through the lens'. She loves to eat and cook, eat and play, eat and explore and share the love with everyone.