This recipe is perfectly sized for two hungry people. Got folks coming over? Just double or triple! Don’t forget the extra pico de gallo with tortilla chips and lime wedges.
By Sarah Platanitis
Author: Sarah Platanitis
Recipe Type: Side
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- 2 tablespoons ground corn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of water
- ¼ cup plain yogurt
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ jalapeno pepper, minced
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 1 quart oil for frying
- 1 pound cod fillets, cut into 2 to 3 ounce portions
- 4 tortillas
- ¼ medium head cabbage, finely shredded
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder and salt. Blend egg and water then quickly stir into the flour mixture.
- In a medium bowl, mix together yogurt and mayonnaise. Stir in fresh lime juice. Season with jalapeno, oregano and cayenne.
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). *I used a deep-sided pan but only because my father taught me how. YOU should use a deep-fryer…it’s safer!
- Wash and pat dry the fish pieces. Lightly flour and dip into batter. Fry until crisp and golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
- Dampen two paper towels and place tortillas between them on a plate. Microwave for 1 minute.
- To serve, place fried fish in a tortilla and top with shredded cabbage and white sauce.