PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, Gothenburg and Sweden’s most famous and loved cheese Västerbottensost®. Discover the edible delights of the land.
A simple salad takes a bold turn with a beautiful flavor combination of sweet figs, crunchy hazelnuts, savory chicken and Sweden’s unique cheese, Västerbottensost.
Sometimes we forget that salads can be more than a side dish to the main event. This salad recipe is a great way to use a simple chicken and include plenty of vegetables in the meal. Plus, this salad won’t leave you hungry with the addition of hazelnuts, Västerbottensost, and couscous.
Not sure what Västerbottensost is? Learn about the unique cheese from our article here.
- 200 g (7 ounces) Västerbottensost cheese
- 600 g (21 ounces or 1 pound 5 ounces) chicken thighs
- 50 ml (1.7 fluid ounces) rapeseed oil
- 50 ml (1.7 ounces by volume) fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper
- 200 ml (6.75 ounces by volume) giant couscous
- 2 romaine lettuces
- 8 fresh figs
- 100 ml (3.4 ounces by volume) hazelnuts
- 1 lemon
- 3 tbsp. liquid honey
- 50–100 ml (1.7 to 3.5 ounces) gravy from the chicken
- More Västerbottensost cheese for serving
- Mix the oil with the chicken and seasoning. Spread out on a baking tray and place in the oven at 200?C (392 F) for approximately 20 minutes. ?Boil the couscous and allow to cool. Cut the figs into halves or quarters and break the lettuce into large pieces. Fry the nuts in a hot ?dry frying pan and chop finely. Mix the lettuce with the couscous and chicken.
- Top with figs, coarsely chopped Västerbottensost cheese and hazelnuts. Mix the gravy with squeezed lemon and honey. Season with salt and pepper and spoon over the salad.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738