In about a half of an hour, you can make a crispy pork dish tossed in a homemade sweet and sour sauce with bell peppers and pineapple. It’s better than takeout.
By ChiChi Dodoo
Succulent easy sweet and sour pork that can be rustled up in 30 minutes. This popular Chinese dish is made with crispy fried pork, bells peppers, pineapple and homemade sweet and sour sauce.
Sweet and sour pork is a very popular dish you will find on the menu of most Chinese takeouts. The sweet and tangy flavours of sauce never fail to please. My dish began with seasoning the pork. For this dish you will need pork loins or tenderloins, cut into bite size cubes and and seasoned with Chinese five spice, salt, soy sauce and rice wine. Leave the pork to marinate for 15-20 minutes.
For the sour part of the sauce we have rice vinegar, plum sauce, soy sauce and Worcestershire sauce Then ketchup, oyster sauce and brown sugar to sweeten up the sauce. And finally cornstarch to thicken the sauce.
- 17 ounces pork loin
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 3 spring onion, cut into short slices
- 1 green bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 1 yellow bell pepper, cut into pieces
- 2 pieces canned pineapple ring, chopped
- vegetable or sunflower oil, for deep frying
- ¼ teaspoon Chinese 5 spice
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Chinese rice wine
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2-3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 teaspoon plum sauce
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 120 ml (1/2 cup )water
- Cut the pork into bite size cubes and place in a mixing bowl. Add Chinese 5 spice, salt, soy sauce and Chinese rice wine and marinate for 15-20 minutes.
- Mix the sweet and sour ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring the mixture to a boil. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Coat the pork lightly with flour, dip in the beaten egg and coat with more flour. Heat the oil in a wok and deep fry the pork in batches for 3-4 minutes, until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Clean your wok and heat a tablespoon of oil. Add chopped garlic, spring onions, green pepper and pineapple pieces. Stir-fry for 30-40 seconds , then add add sweet and sour sauce. Bring to a boil and transfer pork pieces into the wok. Stir to mix, then serve.
Originally, from Ghana in West Africa, Chichi lives and works in London, Uk with her family. A sudden unusual love and passion for all things cake and baking introduced her to the world of blogging. ChiChi is the writer and photographer behind the blog Cakes By Chichi where she shares recipes, tutorials and photos of food she has made.