Sip something fun this summer and relax with Portugal’s Casal Garcia wines. Fun enough for a gathering and versatile enough to pair with easy patio meals.
Try a simple and delicious recipe for grilled shrimp skewers layered with pineapple and chipotle and bursting with South American flavors perfectly paired with a Vinho Verde wine.
Juicy, sweet and tangy pineapple snuggled up with subtly spicy smokey shrimp, are so good together. Marinated, skewered, grilled and served with this refreshing Jicama Mango Slaw and a couple of effervescent glasses of Casal Garcia’s Vinho Verde – such a delicious, healthy and light summer meal.
Vinho Verde, if unfamiliar, hails from Portugal and translates literally to “green wine”, but I like to think of it instead as young spunky wine full of happy little bubbles.
I really enjoy it in the hot summer months because of its lovely effervesce and fresh grassy flavor. To me it falls somewhere in-between a Sauv blanc and Champagne – dry and light and just slightly sparkling, perfect for a hot summer night.
Celebrate summer with a refreshing poke bowl video recipe that pairs perfectly with Casal Garcia’s crisp wines.
- 1 pound large raw peeled and deveined shrimp ( 21-15 or 16-20 size)
- 1 pound pineapple chunks- cut to same thickness as shrimp about ¾ inch thick
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lime - 1/8 cup lime juice and it's zest
- 1 orange- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey or maple
- 3 cloves rough chopped garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon chipotle powder more for spicy ( or ½ of a canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce)
- Garnish - limes cilantro, Jicama Mango Slaw
- Soak skewers if using wood.
- Place shrimp in a bowl or ziplock bag.
- Blend marinade ingredients together in a blender until smooth.
- Pour marinade over shrimp and marinate 30 minutes or overnight. Prep pineapple.
- Pre-heat grill to medium.
- Drain the marinade from the bag or bowl into a small sauce pan.
- Skewer shrimp and pineapple, alternating on skewers ( Skewer pineapple the flat way so shrimp and pineapple are about the same wide, and both lay flat on the grill. That way you will have good grill marks on both. This should make 10-12 x 10 inch skewers.
- Give the marinade a quick simmer, until it thickens and darkens a bit. Turn heat off
- Grease the grill well.
- Lay the skewers down, grilling each side about 3 minutes, or until good grill marks develop, and shrimp is cooked, but not overcooked.
- Place on a serving platter. Drizzle with reduced marinade or lime.
- Serve immediately.
Caterer and chef of Feast Catering Co., my blog Feasting at Home is where I share wholesome, seasonal recipes we cook at home.