This hands-off Moroccan lamb meatball recipe comes together quickly and easily and it’s perfect for make-ahead meal prepping.
If you’re looking for something delicious to enjoy, I highly recommend my back pocket spaghetti and meatballs. This version uses lamb, almond meal instead of breadcrumbs, and plenty of spices and herbs to make up for the lack of garlic and onion.
It’s slathered with a quick no-cook red pepper and sundried tomato Romesco that gets super creamy in the blender and is the perfect complement to the spiced lamb.
This hands off lamb meatball recipe comes together quickly and easily – you don’t even need to make the sauce on the stove! Both elements are fantastic for make-ahead meal prep. Just cook the pasta off the night you want to eat, or omit entirely if you’re watching your grains. If you’re not low FODMAP you can add 1 minced garlic clove and 1 minced shallot to the meatballs. The Romesco sauce really doesn’t need anything, but more garlic works there as well.
Moroccan Lamb Meatballs and Quick Romesco SaucePhoebe Lapine
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground lamb
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh mint plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste optional
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Pinch of cayenne
For the romesco spaghetti sauce:
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine the lamb, almond meal, egg, tomato paste (if using), sea salt, cumin, ginger, paprika and cayenne. With clean hands, mix the lamb until well combined, making sure not to overly break apart the meat. Form the mixture into 12 equal balls, about 2 tablespoons of meat in each. Arrange on the prepared baking sheet and bake in the oven until lightly browned on top and cooked through, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Cook the pasta according to packaged directions and drain in a colander.
- Make the sauce, click the link above for the recipe.
- Assemble the dish: divide the spaghetti between four bowls. Top with a generous drizzle of romesco sauce and the meatballs. Garnish with fresh mint and serve the remaining sauce on the side.