Loaded with warm spices and topped with a cool salsa and monterey jack cheese, these turkey burgers are the perfect patties to throw on the grill.
By Amy Casey
Making burgers is simple. It doesn’t involve a complex recipe with many steps. Basically all that is needed to make award winning burgers is properly seasoned meat, form it into burgers and grill them.
Start by seasoning the ground meat which is ground turkey in this recipe. Using fresh onions, garlic, and cilantro adds a pop of flavor and juiciness to burgers. Sometimes turkey burgers can be bland so Worcestershire sauce, cumin, smoked paprika, and Monterey jack cheese ensure the tastiest burgers.
After gently combining the ground turkey and seasonings, form the burgers. Each patty should be about a quarter pound and just a little bit larger than the size of the bun. Make a small indentation in the middle of the burger. This will prevent it from expanding into a ball as it cooks.
- for the burgers –
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 cup shredded Monterey jack cheese
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 8 burger buns
- ⅓ cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped cucumber
- 2½ cups chopped tomatoes
- juice of ½ of a lime
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 avocado, chopped and tossed with juice of ½ of a lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a grill to medium high.
- In a large bowl combine the first 9 ingredients. Add the ground turkey and gently combine the ingredients. Form into 8 burgers about the size of the buns. Make a small indent in the center of each burger.
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the salsa ingredients. Set aside.
- Grill the burgers for about 3 – 4 minutes per side or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Remove from grill. Toast the buns on the grill for 1 – 2 minutes. Place each burger on a bun and top with the salsa. Serve with tortilla chips.