Ciambelle, a traditional Italian cake, is a treat enjoyed all over the country. With fresh lemon and hazelnut flavors, you can enjoy this treat at home.
I’ve always loved to bake Ciambelle, the traditional Italian cakes with the hole, and this one is a huge one so I’ll call it Ciambellone (big ciambella). This cake has a delightful, airy texture with a citrus and nutty flavor. I used to enjoy a slice of this delicious treat for breakfast or afternoon tea. If stored in an air-tight container, it will last fresh for the whole week.
Enjoy as is or slightly coated with a thin layer of your favorite hazelnut spread.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups potato starch
- 1 sachet Italian baking powder with vanilla I would suggest Bertolini brand
- 1.5 cups granulated sugar
- 6 eggs separated
- 1 cup canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 large organic lemon juice and grated rind
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts coarsely chopped
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven at 350 F degrees.
- Grease a 10 inch bundt cake pan with baking spray or butter and flour.
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, the potato starch, the baking powder and set aside.
- With a hand or stand mixer cream the egg yolks and sugar until pale yellow and creamy.
- Add half of the flour mixture, then one cup of canola oil and beat until incorporated.
- Add the rest of the flour mixture, one cup of water, lemon juice, lemon zest and beat until well incorporated.
- Whip the eggs whites at stiff peaks.
- Fold gently the whipped egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour into the cake pan.
- Sprinkle with chopped hazelnuts.
- Bake for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow to cool completely in its pan, then sprinkle whit powdered sugar.
ALE GAMBINI IS A LA-BASED FOOD WRITER, COOKBOOK AUTHOR AND AWARD NOMINEE HOST CHEF IN WEB SERIES. 100% ITALIAN (BORN AND RAISED IN MILAN) SHE LEARNED HOW TO COOK AND LOVE FOOD FROM HER GRANDMOTHER NONNA FERNANDA. ITALIAN FOOD AMBASSADOR AND OFFICIAL CONTRIBUTOR FOR EXPO 2015 MILANO, HONEST COOKING, ALIMENTARI MAGAZINE, SHE ALSO DEVELOPS RECIPES FOR PRESTIGIOUS ITALIAN AND INTERNATIONAL BRANDS. ALE LEADS COOKING CLASSES IN LOS ANGELES. FOLLOW HER ON A QUEEN IN THE KITCHEN, AUTHENTIC ITALIAN FOOD AT ITS BEST.