A savory cake that is ideal for an appetizer and is made with the buttery-flavored kamut wheat.
Photographs by G. Giustolisi
Ideally served freshly baked, these soft and fragrant cakes are a delicious idea for an appetizer, to serve with vegetables. Made with unrefined ingredients and extra virgin olive oil, they are a perfect snack for kids and for those who love to eat in a healthy and tasty way.
- 200 g 7 oz wholemeal Kamut flour
- 15 g ½oz/¼cup organic instant yeast for salt (organic means no dry chemical baking powder)
- a teaspoon of sea salt
- 80 g 2 ¾ oz Parmigiano Reggiano cheese
- White pepper to taste
- 10 to asted hazelnuts
- 1 organic egg
- 125 4 fl oz/½ cup ml extra virgin olive oil
- Mix dry ingredients: flour, yeast, salt, Parmesan cheese, white pepper and hazelnuts.
- Beat the egg and add oil, continuing to emulsify.
- Gradually, add dry ingredients, stirring quickly.
- Place the dough on the appropriate molds and bake at 180°/gas 4 for 12-15 minutes.
Veronica is a born and raised Italian. She inherited her love for travel, passion for cooking and natural, sustainable, healthy slow food from her parents. Her works have appeared in 'Vegetarian Living', 'Veggie Magazine', 'Lifestyle food', 'Australian Good Food & Travel Guide', 'Chickpea' and 'Free from Heaven', among others. She is the author of "Panini: the simple tastes of Italian style bread"; 'The Rustic Italian bakery", "The Vegetarian Italian Kitchen" and "A Modern Italian table", published by New Holland Publishers Australia.