Made simply with a few fruits, one vegetable, and a burst of delicious citrus, this smoothie provides a host of nutritional advantages while tasting great.
By Vicki Brett Gach
Nutritional choices only work when they taste great, and that’s where this green smoothie comes in. Completely refreshing, and absolutely delicious, it’s a fantastic way to start the day.
Green smoothies are nothing new. Yet I was a skeptical for a long time, fearing they’d be bitter. This one is not. I promise. If you are as unconvinced as I was, you may just have to try this to believe it. It has plenty of fruit to keep things tasty.
Made simply with a few fruits, one vegetable, and nothing else, it tastes only like the fruit itself, yet provides all the nutritional advantages of the greens too. Plus it’s incredibly energizing, and actually makes you feel great, inside and out.
- 1 grapefruit, peeled, sliced in quarters
- 1 apple, unpeeled, cut in quarters, with the core, seeds, and stem removed
- 1 banana, peeled, quartered
- 1 to 2 cups of fresh baby kale or spinach
- 4 – 8 ice cubes (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender (such as a Vitamix). Process first on low, and gradually work up to high speed until mixture is completely smooth.
- Pour into glasses and enjoy immediately. May be stored in the refrigerator for up to one day.
Vicki Brett-Gach is a food writer, recipe developer, cooking instructor, Certified Vegan Lifestyle Coach and Educator, and Certified Personal Chef. She specializes in simple, low-fat, heart-healthy plant-based nutrition, and writes, coaches, teaches, and blogs about delicious vegan food. Find more of Vicki’s recipes on her blog, Ann Arbor Vegan Kitchen at AnnArborVeganKitchen.com.