With spring in full swing and tomato plants and herbs a-bloomin’, it is officially salad season.
Text And Photo By Kristina Wiley
I have been on a salad kick lately, and the other night I couldn’t get Greek salad out of my mind. I had to make it.
So I did.
You know that I am all about simple and fast weeknight meals that don’t sacrifice flavor. It doesn’t get much simpler than chopping up a bunch fresh produce and tossing it in a wonderful homemade vinaigrette. And flavor? Man does this have wonderful flavor! If I had to choose one word to describe this salad, it would be: FRESH!
This is one of those recipes that you can customize to personal preference. Hate red onion? Ditch it. Love feta? Add more. But please oh please promise me you won’t skip the fresh oregano – it MAKES it! Just saying…
There is something so delicious about the simplicity of a Greek salad. Fresh crisp vegetables tossed in a light and herby Greek dressing = my kind of salad!
Now, you can serve this as a side, or you can throw some grilled marinated chicken on top and make a meal out of it! We chose the latter and did a quick marinade of lemon juice, garlic salt, oregano, and olive oil on the chicken and grilled it. Then right before we pulled it off the grill, we drizzled a little balsamic vinegar on top. It complimented the salad beautifully!
I hope you all enjoy this taste of spring / summer as much as we did.
Fresh Crisp Salad of Romaine, Cucumber, Red Onion, Tomato, Feta, and Kalamata Olives tossed in a delicious Greek dressing.
- Author: Kristina Wiley
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) olive oil
- 2–3 tablespoon (16–24 g) chopped fresh oregano
- 1 large clove garlic (or 2 small)
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 g) sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon (2.5 g) black pepper
- Chopped Romaine Lettuce (2-3 heads)
- Chopped Large Tomatoes (1-2)
- Chopped Cucumber (1 full Hot House)
- Chopped Red Onion (1/4 Onion)
- Halved Pitted Kalamata Olives (1/2 – 3/4 Cup)
- Crumbled Feta Cheese (3-4 Ounces – or more)
- Half Lemon (to squeeze on top of Salad)
- Additional Chopped Parsley/Oregano if you like (optional)
- In a small bowl or salad dressing shaker, mix together the red wine vinegar, olive oil, oregano, salt, sugar, and black pepper. Set aside.
- Note: Dressing is a double batch. It stores well in the refrigerator for up to a week – may half if desired .
- Assemble salad with Romaine, cucumber, red onion, crumbled feta, and kalamata olives (tweek amounts to personal preference). Squeeze half of a lemon over the salad. Add dressing to taste. Toss and serve immediately.
- Serve as a side salad or topped grilled chicken as a main course.
Kristina Wiley is the South Florida blogger behind the blog My Life as a Mrs. She is passionate about food, entertaining, and life. She writes about cooking as a joy that can be used to bring friends and family back together around the dinner table; be it quick and easy weeknight meals or full on multi course dinner parties.
I like these salads, great!
WHAT A DELIGHTFUL PRESENTATION!