PARTNER POST – Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Sweet, cinnamon kissed peaches baked to tender perfection bubble under a blanket of cheese-laced biscuits. The duo of the sweetness of the ripe peaches and the slight tanginess of soft, creamy jalapeño Havarti is divine.
By Kate Donahue
I love goat cheese and that my sweet tooth rules my life. You know I love all things balsamic, sweet and savory. You know I love fruit and cheese together in unexpected places AND you know that I’m a big fan of desserts that pack some sweet heat. I love trying to get creative with my flavor combinations so this Jalapeño Havarti Peach Cobbler should come as no surprise. This is a bold flavor creation and you are going to love it!
Stay with me here. I promise it’s ah-mazing!! I’m so ready to bid Old Man Winter a fond farewell and bring on the freshness of spring and the warmth of summer. So I channeled those warm thoughts into this beautiful spin on classic peach cobbler thanks to some peaches I had flash frozen at the end of summer. Sweet, cinnamon kissed peaches baked to tender perfection bubble under a blanket of golden, cheese-laced biscuits. Yes, cheese in the cobbler topping and it’s divine. The sweetness of the ripe peaches and the slight tanginess of soft, creamy Castello Havarti Jalapeño.
No need to do a double take. You read that right. Ever have jalapeño peach jam? That’s what I’m talking about when I say “sweet heat.” I channeled that wonderful flavor profile when I created this peach cobbler recipe. The soft, semi-firm havarti was perfect for melding into the cobbler topping and the gentle heat of the jalapeños in the cheese didn’t overpower the other flavors making a perfectly balanced dessert. Sweet peaches with the flavor of jalapeño chili and mild, buttery havarti make this recipe a real winner. Sweet with a touch of savory and just a bit of warmth that lingers on your tongue. It’s truly something special that takes classic peach cobbler to a delicious new level.
- 8 peaches, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cubed, chilled
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated Castello Havarti Jalapeño cheese
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- ⅔ cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Butter an 8x8-inch dish. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, stir together peaches, sugar, cornstarch, lemon juice, lemon zest, salt, ground cinnamon and vanilla extract. Spread peaches into prepared pan and dot top with cubed butter. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Toss grated cheese with flour mixture. Add melted butter and buttermilk, stir until evenly moistened. Remove peaches from oven after 15 minutes, dollop dough evenly over hot peaches. Return to oven and bake 30 minutes more until top is golden and peach mixture is bubbling. Serve warm.
Get creative with any of Castello’s uniquely crafted cheeses. Click here for a $1 off coupon to create your own gourmet masterpiece.
Kate is the baker, dessert-maker, photographer, writer and recipe developer behind FoodBabbles.com, a place to find classic treats, savory eats and unique sweets. You’ll also find freshly baked breads, savory tarts and more!