Marinated for twenty-four hours, this flavorful pork belly is then brushed with honey and then roasted. Add to soup, buns, or enjoy in slices during a meal.
By Elaine Luo
Roasted pork belly also known as Chinese BBQ pork is a famous dish in the southern part of China especially in Guangdong province.
In Chinese, BBQ pork refers to char Siu or Char siew. Basically the pork is marinated in honey, oyster sauce and hoisin sauce or char siu sauce. Pork belly, tenderloin and pork butt can all be used in Char Siu recipes. However they contain different amounts of fat, thus providing different tastes.
This is a simplified version with very basic home cooking sauces. To make Chinese roasted pork at home, the key step is to marinade the pork belly for at least 24 hours for great flavoring. For this roasted pork with honey recipe, choose small strips of belly.
Besides, check crispy pork belly too, as it is another must try roasted pork belly recipe.
- 2 strips of pork belly (around 1pound)
- Honey water for brushing
- 2 garlic clove, mashed
- 1 spring onion white, cut into small sections
- ½ tablespoon honey
- ½ tablespoon cooking wine
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon dark soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon hoisin sauce
- 1 teaspoon five-spicy powder
- Clean the pork belly and drain.
- In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients for sauce well and add smashed garlic and Chinese five spice powder.
- Marinate the pork belly with the sauce for at least 4 hours, overnight is highly recommended.
- Preheat oven to 200 degree C.
- Prepare a small bowl to mix the 1 tablespoon honey and ½ tablespoon hot water. Brush the honey sauce on both sides of the pork belly. Roast for around 30 minutes.
- Turn over and brush the honey water again. Roast for another 15 to 20 minutes.
- Cool down for several minutes and cut into slices before serving.
- Serve warm and re-heat if necessary.