Start your morning with a piping hot cafecito and a few Espresso Cherry Biscotti made with crunchy pistachios, dried cherries and instant espresso.
By Carolyng Gomes
This biscotti, out of any other biscotti recipe I have done has been the best received. Why? Because most of my taste testers are coffee addicts, because these biscotti were perfectly crunchy on the outside with just enough richness in the center to be a cookie and a crisp. Because cherries are deliciously tart, pistachios are deliciously creamy and espresso is a wake up call. Because they go great with anything, everything and shine on their own. Because… because!
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup instant espresso
- ¾ cup raw pistachios, chopped
- ½ cup dried cherries, chopped
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix sugar, butter and vanilla until sugar has dissolved.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until fully incorporated.
- Add espresso, pistachios and cherries, mixing until fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whisk together flour, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour a ½ cup at a time until sticky dough forms.
- Shape dough into two equally sized loaves.
- Place loaves on baking sheet ensuring that they each have at minimum a three inch buffer on all sides.
- Transfer baking sheet to oven and bake biscotti for 35 minutes.
- Remove loaves from oven and allow to cool for 20 minutes.
- Using a serrated knife, cut loaves on an angle into ¾ inch slices.
- Stand slices on baking sheet, spacing them at least a ½ inch apart from one another.
- Return biscotti to oven and bake for an extra 20-25 minutes, until golden on top and crisp.